latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State Financial Resources

Assistance Programs by County

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Extra Income & Work From Home Jobs

Public Assistance

Disability Assistance Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Energy Bill Assistance

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescription Drugs

Free Medical Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Paying Bills

Car Loan Assistance

Interest Free Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Southwestern Kansas Catholic Charities assistance programs.

Families in the southern and western part of Kansas can look into programs that are offered by Catholic Charities. The organization offers some forms of direct aid to the needy and working poor, however most of the resources they provide are offered from referrals and other local non-profit organizations.

Housing and rental assistance may be provided on a one-time only basis. Some of the different agencies that work with Catholic Charities are below.

Saint Francis Community Services Flex Funds are available in Rush, Barton, and Pawnee County. The program is for families with children and the money is meant to ensure the family stays intact. Money from the Flex Funds can help pay rent for people who have lost their job, are faced with a medical emergency, or some other type of crisis. Call 1-800-898-4903.

Catholic Charities also works with non-profits like the Salvation Army. Together they may have emergency financial assistance for housing and eviction prevention. Dodge City families should call 620-225-4871 and the Great Bend region can be reached at 620-792-4299.

Referrals to health care and medical bill assistance in Kansas may be offered. A partner is the United Methodist Mexican American Ministries Dental Clinic. This provides dental services such as sealants, cleanings, extractions, fillings, fluoride, dentures and other services. The clinic accepts all patients, regardless of their income and insurance status. The center also accepts Medicare and KanCare. Appointments can be made by dialing 620-227-9797. Another option is the Heart of Kansas Family Health Care, Inc. in Great Bend. Bilingual services are offered and include treatment for diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol, prevention services, and physicals.

Utility, water, and heating bill assistance may be offered. Depending on donations, Catholic Charities may have some funding available for income qualified seniors and/or the working poor. Residents need to have access to their utilities such as air conditioning, heat, water and phones, so some emergency funds may be offered. Or you may be referred to government assistance such as LIHEAP.




Homeless prevention and short term housing can be arranged in southwestern Kansas. Having shelter is a basic requirement for safety and human dignity. Catholic Charities has information and referrals for resources including low-income housing, one-time rental assistance (see above) and transitional housing units.

  • Liberal, Seward County residents have access to The Stepping Stone Shelter. This center may offer free food, shelter, and other necessities for the low income and those in need. 620-626-6024
  • Domestic Violence Emergency Services is for residents of Ulysses and Grant County. Support services are offered along with case management. 620-356-1049

Solutions for Food Assistance and healthy meals are available. Churches and local charities try to help everyone in need, but in particular children and infants may receive support. There is truly no reason for anyone of any age to go malnourished or hungry in southwest Kansas. The main pantries that operate in partnership with Catholic Charities and other non-profits are below.

Ford County

-First Presbyterian Church may offer a cooked meal during lunchtime.
-The Manna House is located at 1012 1st Avenue and can be called at (620) 227-6707. This center offers meat, canned goods, fresh fruits, and vegetables.
-Salvation Army food pantry is located in Dodge City at 1100 Ave E. Call 620-225-4871.
-United Methodist Mexican American Ministries may have clothing and groceries. Address is 1700 Ave F. Call 620-225-0625.

Barton County

A Catholic Charity pantry is at 701 N Fritz. Phone 620-792-4001.

Finney County

-Emmaus House - 802 N 5th St. in Garden City. Call  (620-275-2008).
-Mexican American Ministries. Call 620-275-1766.
-F-inney County Salvation Army. Address is 216 N 9th Street. Phone 620-276-4027.

Barton County

-The Community Food Bank serves the entire region. Location is 3007 10th St. Main number is 620-792-4001. The center will offer food and meals for lower income and unemployed Barton County residents who are faced with a crisis.
-The Hungry Heart Soup Kitchen – Phone 620-793-9880. Stop by 1515 Williams for free lunches or groceries.
-Kansas Food 4 Life pantry. 4 Nw 25 Rd. Call 620-793-7100.
-First United Methodist Church of Hoisington. Address is 3rd and Clay. Call 620-653-2119 for information.





Pawnee County

-Helping Hands Food Pantry can be reached at 620-285-8430. Address is 200 Sycamore.
-The Pawnee County Food Pantry is located at 501 Main Street. Dial 620-285-3449.

Stafford County

-Christian Church, 234 N. Sheaffer Ave., Macksville, 620-348-3205.

Pratt County

-Christian Food Bank, 111 W 4th St, telephone (620) 672-5150.
-First Christian Church Clothing Room may have gently used goods and food. 123 N. Ninnescah St.
-Episcopal Church. 218 N. Main St, 620-672-2308. Provides toiletries, laundry supplies, etc.
-Mid-America Foods, 1st United Methodist Church. Call 620-672-6473 or stop by 100 N. Jackson.
-Pratt Family Life Center, 508 S. Main, 620-672-2224. This non-profit provides baby food, diapers, etc.

Stafford County

-St John United Methodist Church - Provides free food, toilet paper and laundry soap. Address is 807 E 1st -St. Telephone 620-549-3896. A second Catholic Charity church is at 218 W Stafford St.
-Hamilton County Food Pantry is located at 504 Hamilton St. Call (620) 384-754

Another program that some clients of Catholic charities use is Prairie Land Food. This is a program that can give a low cost nutritious grocery package to the needy. It will be a box of food that includes a wide assortment of frozen meats, fresh fruits and vegetables. It is offered at up to 50% off the regular retail price.

The main Catholic Charity centers in the southwestern Kansas area at the following.

  • Dodge City Office, 906 Central Avenue, Dodge City, KS 67801, dial 620-227-1562
  • Garden City Office is at 603 N. 8th St. Telephone 620-272-0010
  • Another location is at 2201 16th St., Great Bend, Kansas 67530. Call 620-792-1393.




By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy


Search Site