latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State Financial Resources

Assistance Programs by County

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Extra Income & Work From Home Jobs

Public Assistance

Disability Assistance Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Energy Bill Assistance

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescription Drugs

Free Medical Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Paying Bills

Car Loan Assistance

Interest Free Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Rental assistance in Charleston County South Carolina.

Locate housing as well as emergency rental assistance programs in the Charleston County South Carolina region. The agencies below specialize in offering this type of help. Programs can include section 8 housing vouchers, cash assistance to help with rent to prevent evictions, security deposit grants, and much more. Churches, charities, and government agencies can all assist. There is also rent help in nearby communities, including North Charleston and Mount Pleasant.

In addition to providing direct emergency rental or deposit assistance, many of the non-profits in Charleston County can also offer free advice. This includes case management, information and general support or guidance. Low income families and individuals, along with seniors or the disabled, can find safe and affordable housing units or apartments. Or if the tenant is currently in an apartment and need funds to pay rent in an emergency, some programs may be able to help with that need as well.

The demand for housing services in both the city as well as North Charleston is very high, and funding is limited. Anyone in need of grant or loan based rental assistance or that needs help in finding low income housing or shelters, call one of the organizations below as soon as possible.

Agencies to contact for help with paying rent in Charleston SC

Catholic Charities assists the poor, immigrants, women, and elderly (among others). For tenants, including single mothers or women facing DV, in an extreme emergency, this organization may be able to offer rent help, regardless of religion. Call (843) 531-5570 or (855)-377-7357, and address is 1662 Ingram Road, Charleston 29407.

Charleston Area Community Development Corporation (Eastside Community Development) - Offers first time homebuyer programs and general housing aid. Mailing address of the center is at 60 America St A, Charleston, SC 29403, call (843) 952-7193 or (843) 747-3311

Public Housing Authorities in Charleston County are available. They administer Housing and Urban Development (HUD) programs, including section 8 vouchers. These are income based, in which the low income tenant pays up to 30% of their income for rent or bills. There are also emergency Section vouchers for the elderly and/or disabled.




  • Charleston County Housing Authority – Low income families can apply for rent and housing assistance from the federal government Section 8 housing resource. Programs are for low income families and public housing. Address - 2106 Mt. Pleasant Street Charleston, South Carolina 29403, call (843) 722-1942
  • City of Charleston Housing Authority – Offers permanent public housing. They also administer section 8 housing choice vouchers, which is an income based rent assistance program funded by HUD. Address 550 Meeting Street Charleston SC 29403, call (843) 723-4491 or (843) 720-3697.
  • North Charleston Housing Authority – This government agency provides the section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program and other government public housing for low income families. Main address is 2170 Ashley Phosphate Road, Suite 700 North Charleston, South Carolina 29418, dial (843) 747-1793

Charleston County Human Services – The non-profit agency provides emergency funding for paying rent, mortgage payments or energy bills. One of the resources is known as New Promise Permanent Housing Program, and this service provides permanent housing for the chronically homeless in Charleston South Carolina (includes domestic violence victims).

The Human Services agency also provides services as well as rent and housing programs for low-income residents of Charleston, Berkeley and Dorchester counties. The office is at 1069 King Street Charleston, SC 29403, dial (843) 724-6760

Free legal aid can help stop evictions or deal with housing discrimination. Or lawyers can help Charleston County SC families apply for housing programs, including section 8 or grants for rent.

  • South Carolina Legal Services (2803 Carner Avenue, North Charleston, SC 29405, phone (843) 720-7044) as well as Pro-Bono Legal Services (111 Church St, Charleston, SC 29401, dial (843) 853-6456) have lawyers that can represent the low income and poor in housing court. They can help stop evictions and more.

Crisis Ministries (One80 Place) provides Transitional Housing, a Homeless Shelter, and other low income housing programs. There may also be government grants to help pay for mortgages, rent, or utilities. Mailing address is 35 Walnut St, Charleston, SC 29403. The main phone line is (843) 723-9477.





East Cooper Community Outreach (ECCO) offers rent payment assistance, with a focus on tenants in the eastern part of the county including Mt. Pleasant SC. Other programs can provide clothing, help for electric bills, educational opportunities, small household items, and free furniture for a home or income based housing. Address is 1145 Six Mile Road, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29466. To learn about how to get help with rent, dial (843) 849-9220.

Humanities Foundation Inc is another social service agency that offers various assistance programs, including for rent, utilities, moving costs or security deposits. They are all focused on stopping homelessness. Case management and financial literacy is combined with funds to pay back rent. The address is 474 Wando Park Boulevard, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina 29494. Phone number is (843) 856-4120.

Trident Area Agency on Aging – Apply for and get information on rent payment assistance for seniors who are age 60+ who meet income guidelines. There is also supportive housing for the elderly or disabled. Location is 1360 Truxton Avenue, Suite 105, Charleston, SC 29405. The main intake number for elderly housing and benefit programs is (843) 554-2275. Read more South Carolina Area Agencies on Aging and their programs.

Family Services, Inc. Homeownership Resource Center – The non-profit provides down payment and Closing Cost Assistance. The housing program provides financial assistance. They do this by offering home buying support for individuals and families. They also provide education classes, credit repair, debt counseling and classes. Call (843) 735-7860.

Florence Crittenton Programs of South Carolina is a non-profit agency that offers housing and case management services. There may be some financial help for renters to help them pay housing costs. Participants and clients of the non-profit are expected to work and/or be enrolled in school. Income guidelines are in place. The center is at Nunan Street Project, 19 Saint Margaret Street, Charleston, South Carolina 29403, call (843) 722-7526

Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society Charleston only helps military members or those in the National Guard. Offers housing, rent payments, security deposits, and other financial aid for military members and their families. The mailing address is 2316 Red Bank Rd Building 84, Goose Creek, SC 29445. Call (843) 794-7662 or (843) 764-7662.

John's Island Rural Housing Development operates units. The have, for lease, low income/subsidized rental housing. Mailing address is 3624 Maybank Hwy, Johns Island, South Carolina 29455, dial (843) 559-3359

Liza’s Lifeline helps women. The center provides emergency funds and grants for short term housing assistance or rent help for victims of domestic violence. Also, provides other support, such as legal aid. There is also free emergency basic needs on a case by case basis to domestic violence victims. The non-profit is at 636-G Longpoint Road, #134, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464, call (843) 991-9085

Neighborhood House is based at 77 America St, Charleston, South Carolina 29403. The assistance programs include rent and electric bills. Also offers clothes, continuing education - GED preparation, computer classes, food pantry, and prescription medication expense. Dial  (843) 805-8064 or (843) 853-8329 for information on rent payment help or other social services.





Our Lady of Mercy Community Outreach – An extensive number of financial assistance programs are offered, including rent and utility bill payment help. Also runs a clothes closet, after school program, English as a Second language classes, food pantry. A major focus is on homeless prevention. Location is 1684 Brownswood Rd, Johns Island, SC 29455. Phone number is (843) 559-4109.

Charleston County Human Services (Outreach) is based at 1069 King St, Charleston, South Carolina 29403.. Client must have income (job, disability, etc.) and meet other eligibility requirements in order to get rent payment assistance. (843) 723-9285 ext. 10 or (843) 724-6760.

Palmetto Community Action Partnership has information on free government grants for rent, moving or storage cost assistance and more. Appointments are needed. Any aid is part of the General Emergency Assistance Program. The main address is 1069 King St., Charleston, SC 29403. Call (844) 769-6448.

Assistance for the homeless and families facing eviction is offered in Charleston County. There is also Rapid Rehousing. Federal government HUD grants can assist with housing costs including rent, energy or water bills, and lease application fees. Non-profits will also offer legal aid and rehousing, such as money for paying a deposit or first months rental payment. More on homeless prevention in Charleston County.

Rural Mission – Emergency assistance with rent, utilities, and home repairs. Mailing address is 3429 Camp Care Rd., Johns Island, South Carolina 29455, call (843) 768-1720

Charleston County Salvation Army Service Unit helps the low income, seniors, and elderly among others. If the tenant has an eviction notice they can apply for emergency rent help. Also provides assistance with clothing, furniture for an apartment, and household items. They also have a men's shelter as well as hotel or motel vouchers.

  • The main faith based charity is at 6209 Rivers Avenue, North Charleston, SC 29406. Call (843) 747-5271.
  • Another location has a phone of (843) 747-5271, with the main charity address at 2135 Ashley River Road Charleston, SC 29407 .

Charleston South Carolina Housing Search is a free service that helps individuals and families locate affordable, low income homes and apartments. Some of the centers may have or accept cash funds or section 8 rental vouchers for rental assistance. They can also direct low income families, single moms and working poor to government grants for paying housing, rent, or deposit expenses. Call (877) 428-8844

South Carolina Victim Assistance Network (SCVAN) – Get information about shelter or safe housing. They help women who are facing violence or abuse. Other referrals are for home repairs or apply for security deposit or rental grants. (888) 852-1900 or (803) 750-1200. Must have been the victim of a crime.

Telamon Corporation – Trident – People classified as being in poverty can get rent payment assistance. There may also be some deposit help as well in Charleston County, including for security or energy connections. A major focus is on the poor or tenants in rural parts of the county. Call (843) 574-1864.

Tricounty Family Ministries covers the county from 2105 Cosgrove Ave, North Charleston, SC 29405., The charity runs transitional housing. Also provides, foreclosure counseling, furniture, and free landlord-tenant mediations. Financial assistance may in some circumstances include rent & transportation. Call (843) 747-1788. Details on financial help from Tri-County Ministry.

Low income or short term housing in Charleston County SC

The organizations below, whether non-profit or government, all focus on providing safe, affordable housing. Some also operate homeless shelters or give out free motel vouchers. The short term housing is often combined with, when ready, funds to help pay for a security deposit or first months rent on a new home or apartment. Or get help in finding low income apartments without a waiting list.

Gardens at Montague offers affordable rental properties and low income housing. Main address is 4850 Upjohns Road N. Charleston, South Carolina 29405. Call (843) 745-9885.

Good Neighbor Center has transitional housing offered for veterans only. Also get free legal counseling, employment assistance and training. Address is 1905 Burton Lane, Charleston, South Carolina 29405-8315, main number (843) 566-1878

Magnolia 61 Senior Apartments (Grand Oak) is an organization that runs low income/subsidized rental housing for families with children and people over 55. Programs are for Charleston, Berkeley, Dorchester residents. The office is at 183 Magwood Drive, Charleston, South Carolina 29414. Call (843) 571-5225.







My Sister's House runs a shelter for women, including single moms. The center is based in North Charleston, South Carolina 29415. Call (843) 744-3242 .

Ansonborough House is for seniors over 62 years old can access independent living. The non-profit gives priority to homeless or those living in unsafe or substandard housing. Applicants to the rent subsidized homes must be low income. Location is 71 Society Street, #100, Charleston, South Carolina 29401. Call (843) 723-8613.

Kings Crossing offers low income subsidized rental housing and affordable units. Location is 723 King Street, Charleston, SC 29401. The focus is on low-income elderly people, retirees, or those who have medical issued and need a place to live. Dial (843) 577-0879

The Shires covers multiple areas. They offer affordable housing for Charleston, Berkeley, and Dorchester counties. Main office is at 1020 Little John Drive, Charleston, South Carolina 29407. Call (843) 852-5298.

By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy


Search Site